Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My toddler throws a fit when I try to change his diaper, what can I do?

Since the day he was born, my son has always cried while having his diaper changed, he just really hates having it done.



He's now 17 months old and not only screams the entire time, but also kicks and flails. I have actually seen him look down at a dirty diaper and aim for it with his foot to try to get poop everywhere.



Saying %26quot;No%26quot; firmly only results in more forceful kicks and louder screams. I usually try my best to ignore him and carry on with the diaper change as quickly as possible. I have never abandoned changing a diaper due to a fit, so it's not as if he has learned somewhere that getting upset will stop me from changing his dirty bum ;-p



Do you have any ideas on how to change the behavior? It's driving me up a wall, and I dread every single diaper!



Thanks!My toddler throws a fit when I try to change his diaper, what can I do?
YOU'RE PROBABLY GOING TO HATE THIS ANSWER, BUT...have another baby! Yes, really! Once I had my baby, and my toddler witnessed the baby screaming when I changed his diaper, he stopped the complaining alltogether. My toddler has grown up in so many ways since the baby came along. Amazing! B4 the baby came along, I would squish some baby lotion in his hands and that usually kept him busy smooshin' it between his paws, whilst I worked on his diaper...blech! Also, handing him a favorite little toy/car would work (I would change them every so often and keep them handy/by the diaper changing stand) Good luck and know that you're not the only one:)My toddler throws a fit when I try to change his diaper, what can I do?
Give him something new %26amp; different to handle while you change it.My toddler throws a fit when I try to change his diaper, what can I do?
talk to him while changing it make funny faces and funny noises. tickle his belly button. my son is 16 months an he hated getting his nappy changed but when i started doing the above he was too busy laughing to realise i was still changing his nappy.My toddler throws a fit when I try to change his diaper, what can I do?
My 13 month old daughter is also a pain to change. It's always a struggle.



Have you given him something to hold, like a book or a toy or a bottle of lotion? Sometimes I give me daughter just a tab of lotion in her hands, she likes to smush it between her fingers.



Or try giving him raspberries on his tummy, that usually tickles my daughter then she focuses on me and not the diaper change.My toddler throws a fit when I try to change his diaper, what can I do?
cry with him...I know it sounds lame...but I had the same problem and still do from time to time...so I cry (fake cry :)...he stops having a fit and just looks at me...try it...can't hurtMy toddler throws a fit when I try to change his diaper, what can I do?
I agree with Jenny, sometimes I do a really loud obviously fake cry Wah Wah Wah Wah my son and he looks at me and giggles.

Or when all else fails - and I am completely at my wits end and out of options I resort to the seldom-used-but-always-successful-option? I hand him the TV remote. Works like a charm every time.My toddler throws a fit when I try to change his diaper, what can I do?
Umm, well....you've let him behave like this for 17 months now. I'm not sure you could change this behavior without alot of tears on both your parts. You could try popping him on the leg, but since its been allowed before he might just think you are being mean to him and not associate the pop with his bahavior. At this point I'd just hope he'll potty train easily since he seems to hate the diaper so much.