Thursday, September 22, 2011

Can someone please help me, I need to know how to toilet train my 7yr old autistic son?

I have a verbal Autistic son who has very little understanding of how his body works. He will go to the toilet on command just to pee, but unless you tell him he will not go on his on. He does not do BM's in the toilet at all. We have tried rewards of all sorts. We have tried sitting him there for a while, but he will just not go. Please someone help me get this child toilet trained. It is imperative for his social well being, and well it would be nice not to have to change diapers after seven straight years of it.Can someone please help me, I need to know how to toilet train my 7yr old autistic son?
As you know, the diagnosis of autism covers children with a wide range of developmental strengths and weaknesses. How you ultimately succeed in potty training your son depends more on who he is, than on his diagnosis.



Some of the key issues might be: How well can he communicate his feelings (that is, the urge to go)? Does he tend to get stuck in certain behavior patterns, or is he able to learn new patterns readily? Does he have any sensory difficulties that might make using the toilet a special challenge (for example, hypersensitivity to touch or smells)? How much is he motivated by a desire to please you? What other rewards motivate him?



The answers to those questions will determine how quickly your son learns and what approaches will work best to encourage his efforts. That said, I think the general approach to potty training a child with autism is the same as for other children. Make the potty available. Let your child see what you do. Encourage any interest he shows in a low-key way. Praise any successes.



%26quot;There are two major causes of toilet training problems in children with autism. They are either afraid of the toilet or they do not know what they are supposed to do. Children with severe hearing sensitivity may be terrified of the toilet flushing. The sound may hurt their ears. Sometimes these children can learn if they use a potty chair which is located away from the frightening toilet. Due to the great variability of sensory problems, some children may like to repeatedly flush the toilet but they are still not trained. The thinking of some autistic children is so concrete that the only way they can learn is to have an adult demonstrate to them how to use the toilet. They have to see someone else do it in order to learn. Some children with very severe sensory processing problems are not able to accurately sense when they need to use the bathroom. If they are calm they may be able to feel the sensation that they need to urinate or defecate, but if they experience sensory overload they cannot feel it. This may explain why a child will sometimes use the toilet correctly, and other times he will not.%26quot;Can someone please help me, I need to know how to toilet train my 7yr old autistic son?
Patience. Have lots and lots of patience. The best thing to do would be to talk to his doctor or his therapist (if he has one). Good luck!! I wish you and your son well! :-)Can someone please help me, I need to know how to toilet train my 7yr old autistic son?
unfortunately, there might not be anything that you can do. no offense, but your child will never have %26quot;normal%26quot; social well being. the only thing that i can suggest is to try to figure out when he has BM's and try to get him to a toilet during those times.Can someone please help me, I need to know how to toilet train my 7yr old autistic son?
If his pediatrician says there is absolutely no reason he cannot toilet (and there shouldnt be where he will pee) then..... A strict toileting schedule.

Be sure that his school staff is on board with a strict toileting schedule as well, that is key.

It may not be a %26quot;not knowing%26quot;. Autistic children have ways of controlling things like this, as a way of having control over something.

It may be a rough thing but having him sit on the toilet every hour and no diapers to help him do it his way.

Thats the best I can say. As a teacher of 7 male 3-5 yr old autistic children, we spend a lot of time in the bathroom!Can someone please help me, I need to know how to toilet train my 7yr old autistic son?
Here is a good site addressing your situation and if it does not answer your question directly, just type in the web search:



potty training autistic children



and there are many sites available to you.





Best wishes.Can someone please help me, I need to know how to toilet train my 7yr old autistic son?
When you go and boo boo don't flush it let him see it and tell him this is where yours go,or when he did it in the pamper take him and the pamper to the toilet and show that his boo boo is going in the toilet.When you go pee have him with you. Why,because kids like to copy after adults if he didn't do it tell him to pee like daddy.Can someone please help me, I need to know how to toilet train my 7yr old autistic son?
u should make it a game, if he does it well, he gets a sticker. if he gets 7 stickers, he gets to get a prize





but not to be mean or anything, if u have too, give it to him streight, tell him that he is getting old enough to change his own diapersCan someone please help me, I need to know how to toilet train my 7yr old autistic son?
dam 7 years in a diaper that could be consitored child abuse but anyways just reward him when he goes and be presistant cause you dont want to keep changing him