Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?

I have tried distractions like giving him a toy in his hand, changing him in front of the tv or singing to him, but nothing seems to work. He continues screaming and kicking.My 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?
Oh, it will continue, unfortunately. My son never really went through it at a year, like a lot of magazines and friends said he would. He's going through it now -- at 21 months! I hate it, especially because he doesn't kick and scream for his father. I did time outs a few times with him and he has stopped doing it enough. He really hates time out, so when he would kick and scream during changing time, I'd give him 1-2-3 and then it was timeout. You might want to try letting up after bath time. Let him be naked for a few minutes and then put the diaper and jammies on. Maybe a little freedom and running around will make him more likely to let you change him. Also, try to get him more involved. Let him pick the clothes or let him try to put on his socks. Maybe he just wants to feel like he has a say in what's going on. Good luck!My 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?
My 17month old is doing that now. I can tell you want worked for my other child........It is time to change to pull-ups. 22months is too old for diapers now. They dont want to lay down anymore. Buy some pull ups for going out and even for house. But you might want to start putting him in little boys underwear in the house. This is a great time to get him to potty train. He is telling you something......Mum I am growing up.........I dont want to lay down like a baby anymore........My 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?
My 10 month old is this way too and liek yours distractions dont alwasy work. I've just learned to get his diaper chanegd with as few steps as possible. We make a game of getting whatever clothes off that need removed then a SUPER quick change. Wish I had a better answer for you!My 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?
When you figure this out let me know..My 22 month old girl does the same thing..She runs around naked most of the time...Good thing she is petty much potty trained!My 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?
Have you asked him why? My Son did that one day and he didn't like that his clothes didn't match! (I was behind on laundry) It could be something as simple as that! Yes, he was about your Son's age, and no he isn't gay!My 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?
Make sure he dosn't have a rash or something else that may cause pain or discomfort in the diaper area.



Other than that, try to educate the baby like letting him help with the clothes (it sounds like he's almost 2) and introduce potty ideas and techniques. I know he's a boy, but let him try to put a diaper on an Elmo or something.



Patience is the key.My 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?
had the same thing, guess what i have been potty traing and its working.My 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?
My daughter does that too, even though she is a bit older, but it's been an occasional thing since she was younger. At your son's age, it's could be about being ready to try potty training, or it could just be him being a normal kid and not wanting to do what you want him to do. The only thing I've done that has worked is putting my daughter in her crib for a minute if she won't sit still for a diaper change. It sounds bad, but I've even put her in there without her diaper on if need be. No, I'm not a bad mom, or neglectful or anything. The mattress has a waterproof cover anyway, and she's never made a mess. Usually, most of the time if I do that, once I get her out she'll lay down for me and behave. And like I said, it only needs to be for a minute or two, and tell him why you're doing it if you decide to try.My 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?
I don't agree with a 22 month old being too old for diapers. I give my 11 month old a book or something to hold on to so that he thinks that he is helping and it works. Before that he would be all over the place and fighting me when I would change his diaper and I would have to sit on the floor and hold his arms with my les and I really didn't like doing that, cause I would feel bad that he would scream and cry the whole time and I wanted he to know that it should be harmfulMy 22 month old throws a fit every time we change his diaper or clothes. Any suggestions how I can calm him?
Get him involved.



He does this to exert control. At this age, he is learning he has control over what happens to him, and he is using this control.



What my best friend did/does is her son, when he needs changing, tells him that he needs to get mom a diaper and the cream and wipes. Her son loves doing this, feeling a bit of control. And he does the same thing with his clothing. He chooses what he wears. Mom makes suggestions, but he ultimately chooses what he wears. This enforces the independence, and allows him the control he desires. But tell him that he has to have his diaper changed, or he could get %26quot;owies%26quot; from wearing a dirty diaper. Ask him to get the stuff for you, and then let him do it. I think you will see some changes. It won't cure it completely, but it will help.



Good luck!!