Sunday, November 21, 2010

When using cloth diapers do you change the cover at every diaper change?

I am having my first child and i want to use cloth. but im a little confused on how it all works. when you change the cloth diaper do you also need to use a different cover? or can you use the same cover throuought the day? also how many cover will i need for each stage of groth i.e newborn, 3 month, 5 month.. ect. one last question how many prefolds will i need till potty training?

thanks so much :)When using cloth diapers do you change the cover at every diaper change?
I usually alternated covers to give them a chance to dry out before the next change, but if it wasn't wet or soiled, I'd use it again immediately.



I usually had 3-4 covers in each size. 24 or 36 prefolds is a pretty good number if you're planning on washing every other day.When using cloth diapers do you change the cover at every diaper change?
I did flats rather than prefolds, but the number of covers you need is the same,

I would be getting six covers, I rotated the covers at every change, not washing them until they started to stink but I would remove one and put another one on while it aired. I'd have two covers in use over a day with one kept as back up for poo blowouts, at the end of the day I'd wash the covers I used that day with the nappies.

As a rough rule, aim for three covers for every twelve nappies you have. Twelve nappies is roughly a days supply for a newborn. Three month olds I'd still recommend having twelve, but five month old shouldn't be going through any more than ten a day.



As to how many to buy, if you are going with the sized ones get 24 of the smaller size and 24 of the larger one. If you are buying the one size option, get at least 24.