Sunday, November 21, 2010

How long can someone stay in a wet diaper?

I care for someone that is in diapers and it seems as soon as I put a new diaper on him he wets it in minutes, it is very frustrating and also expensive to change diapers constantly so my question is would it be mean to keep in a wet diaper for a period of time? I mean if I put a clean diaper on him in the am at say 9am and he wets it at 915 would it be ok if he stayed in the diaper til lunch time or would he get a rash? Any advise or help is appreciated. ThanksHow long can someone stay in a wet diaper?
With the very absorbent diapers today, I would say you could change the diaper after a second wetting. I don't know if it is as much as time as it is in how wet the diaper is. If you think about it, a diaper wearer can be put in a diaper at say 9pm and goes to bed, if he wets the diaper at midnight to 1am and sleeps until 7 or 8am, he is in a wet diaper for a very long time. Now with that said, the body usually does not produce as much urine when you sleep as you do when you are awake so most bed wetters usually wet the diaper once or twice in a 8 hour time frame. During the day, I probably wouldn't go past two hours or a really wet diaper.How long can someone stay in a wet diaper?
NO you cannot leave him for 3 hours in a wet diaper. This not only causes rash but contributes to skin breakdown and the formation of decubitus ulcers ( bedsores ). When that happens infection can set in ...He also needs to reposition every 2 hours if he is bedridden. Good luck and keep him dry.