Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How to change a diaper on an airplane?

How is this done? I didn't check if they have changing tables in the bathrooms the last time I was on a plane. Any other way besides on the seat and hope the baby doesn't roll off?How to change a diaper on an airplane?
If the airplane has a changing table in the bathroom, you're all set. If it doesn't, you've got two options: using the closed toilet seat in the cramped bathroom as a changing table, or standing up and turning your airplane seat into a changing area. See our checklist of questions to ask your airline for more information about baby-friendly airline services and facilities.



If your child has a badly soiled diaper, your only option is to squeeze into the tiny airplane bathroom. It's a good idea to undress your baby down to the diaper at your seat so you won't be wrestling his clothes off in the cramped space. Once you're inside, assemble your supplies ?diaper, wipes, and disposal bag ?next to the sink and layer some paper towels or a changing pad on the closed toilet seat. Place your child on the seat, whip off the dirty diaper, stick it in an airsick bag or plastic bag, and dispose of it in the garbage. Speed is important here since your child could wriggle off the tiny toilet seat. Rediaper your baby and finish dressing him when you're back in your seat.



If you're flying with relatives or friends seated next to you, it may be okay to change a wet diaper on your own seat. If you think you'll try this technique, pack a waterproof lining or small blanket in your diaper bag and use it to protect the seat upholstery. Once again, speed is essential ?especially for your traveling companion's sake. Dispose of the dirty diaper in your airsick bag. Once your baby is diapered and dressed, you can put the bag in the bathroom garbage. Don't ask a flight attendant to dispose of your baby's dirty diaper ?the Food and Drug Administration prohibits attendants from handling garbage of any kind while serving food.How to change a diaper on an airplane?
on your lap. I've done this a few times in a pinch. I have heard they have changing tables in bathrooms on airplanes, but I never go in to check. Or (if the flight isn't too long) in the airport bathroom before and after the flight.How to change a diaper on an airplane?
I have done it two different ways.



First, if the seat belt light is on, I have done it in my lap. Not recommended for 2 diapers. Just put baby lengthwise across lap and change as normal, but easier if you have someone traveling with you so you can hold and the can attach the diaper.



Second is to do to the back of the plane by the bathrooms and put your changing pad on the ground and do it there. It is easier, but still a little challenging. People really don't seem to mind this.



Also, if you are flying during a non peak time request a infant block, and that way if there are any empty seats you can have one for free and keep the little in their car seat during the flight. Otherwise I recommend gate checking the car seat, they get less abused that way.



Enjoy your flight.How to change a diaper on an airplane?
On your lap i guessHow to change a diaper on an airplane?
Wow, great question. I've never run into this situation or question before. I've never looked but I'm thinking those tiny little bathrooms can't possibly have changing tables. There's barely room in there for me to do what I've got to do, let alone try to change a baby! I'm sure other passengers will be offended, but they'll just have to get over it. Poop happens...worst case scenario, I'd rather offend a few uptight passengers then let my baby stay in a dirty diaper for an hour.How to change a diaper on an airplane?
There are changing tables in airplanes - although they are small.



If it's number one, your husband can hold the baby on his lap while you change the baby.......if its number 2 you are better off going to the laboratory.



Rest assure there are changing tables!



(Let me be more specific- it depends on the airplane you are on.) All international flights and most domestic flights more than 4 hours have changing tables - the small puddle jumpers might not have a laboratory at all. Simply change the baby before and after you get on the plane.





Best of luck!How to change a diaper on an airplane?
i agree i am a pro at changing my kids on my lap another idea kneel on the floor and put the baby on the seat in front of you other passangers might not be pleased but whatever for them you could also ask the sturtist maybe she can show you some where a little more discreetHow to change a diaper on an airplane?
they have changing tables in the bathroom. it's not like in public bathrooms (in airplanes everything is tight) but I've done it before. don't worry, you can do it.How to change a diaper on an airplane?
The last time I was on a plane I worried about the same thing with my daughter. I hoped and prayed I just wouldn't have to find out but no such luck as she ended up poopie on the plane. I took her to the bathroom, not knowing what to expect and low and behold there actually was a changing table built in above the toilet. It was a little cramped but worked out ok. I am not sure if all planes have this feature but surely they wouldn't book you on a flight where the plane didn't have one if they know you are traveling with a baby. Good luck!!